Saturday, February 21, 2009

Let it Snow

Each night until about Christmas, we lose a minute of sunlight. Animals start to fatten up to insulate themselves from the cold and store extra calories for fuel. Don't be an animal! This is not the time to hibernate. The end of the fun in the sun means the beginning of fun in the snow!

What do I do? As the season starts to change, so does my program. Time to get ready for snowboarding! First, I add some intervals that get my heart rate cranking. Squat thrusts, step ups and hill repeats are great for simulating the heart-pounding demands on the slopes. I also add more strength training to condition my legs and core for some serious shredding. MBTs add to my program by strengthening my knees and back and fine tuning my stabilizer muscles. When my lungs and thighs are burning, I remind myself that I'd rather feel the burn here so that I can enjoy my vacations to the fullest:)

No comments:

Post a Comment